County of Marin Health and Human Services

Adult Protective Services

What is APS?

Potential abuse and neglect affect many older and dependent adults in Marin County every day. Adult Protective Services (APS) responds to reports of possible abuse, neglect, exploitation, and self-neglect involving older adults age 60+ and disabled dependent adults age 18+.

What do APS Social Workers Do?

APS social workers investigate and seek to correct situations of abuse and neglect. The social worker will offer the older or dependent adult a plan of services, using the least restrictive method of intervention. With the goal of enabling the person to live as safely and independently as possible, the APS social worker will coordinate services with available family, supportive friends and community resources. All services in this program are voluntary and require the participation of the client. 

How to Report Suspected Abuse: 

California law requires that mandated reporters immediately report cases of suspected abuse or neglect of an elder or dependent adult to Adult Protective Services (APS).If you suspect that an elderly or dependent adult is being abused or neglected, call Marin County APS, 24 hours/day, at (415) 473-2774. All calls are confidential. Reports that do not involve physical abuse nor require immediate attention can be made via the secure web form

More Ways to Report: 

  • Urgent reports: Call the APS Hotline for an in-person response within 24 hours, followed by a written report within two business days using Form SOC 341 (English Spanish).
  • Non-urgent, verbal reports: Call the APS Hotline to make a verbal report, followed by a written report within two business days using Form SOC 341 (English | Spanish). 
  • Financial abuse: Financial institutions should call the APS hotline to make a verbal report, followed by a written report within two business days using Form SOC 342.
  • If you suspect abuse in a long-term care facility, contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman at (415) 473-7446.
  • Submit Form SOC 341 or 342:  Fax to (415) 473-7042, or mail to Marin County Adult Protective Services 10 N. San Pedro Road San Rafael, CA 94903

When to Report:

California Law, under the Welfare & Institutions Code for Elder Abuse, provides for mandatory reporting of physical abuse, neglect, self-neglect, sexual abuse, mental suffering, financial abuse, isolation, abandonment, or abduction of an elder or dependent adult when:

  • The victim reports that abuse has occurred or has knowledge of abuse
  • The mandated reporter observes the incident  
  • When an injury or condition reasonably leads the mandated reporter to suspect that abuse has occurred

Failure of a mandated reporter to report suspected abuse and/or neglect is a misdemeanor. When the abuse results in death or great bodily harm to the elder, the penalties for failing to report are a sentence of up to one year in county jail, a $5,000 fine, or both. Learn more about recognizing signs of abuse.

Reporter Confidentiality Statement:

The identity of all persons who report are confidential. Violation of confidentiality is a misdemeanor offense. As specified by law, APS may reveal the names of reporting parties only to other investigative agencies. No person required to report suspected elder abuse will bear criminal liability for reporting. No supervisor or administrator may impede or prohibit reporting. A victim of abuse may refuse or withdraw consent to any investigation or provision of services initiated as a result of the report, unless a violation of the Penal Code has been alleged.

Who is Required to Report Suspected Adult Abuse?

Mandated reporters are healthcare providers, licensed or unlicensed social service providers for vulnerable adults, paid or unpaid caretakers, care custodians, the clergy, and other professionals in a position of trust who suspect elder or dependent adult abuse or neglect, including self neglect.

Who is a Mandated Reporter?

  • Care custodians and health practitioners
  • Employees of county welfare departments
  • Employees of law enforcement and fire departments
  • Employees of humane societies and animal control agencies
  • Clergy members
  • Any other protective, public, sectarian, mental health, private assistance or advocacy agency, or person providing health services or social services
  • Officers or employees of financial institutions who suspect financial abuse

Additional Resources and Information: 

If you suspect abuse in a long-term care facility, contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman at (415) 473-7446. For additional information about reporting suspected adult abuse please visit the resource links located to the right of this page.