LITA (Love is the Answer) of Marin
Founded in 1975, LITA is a nonprofit organization that strives to improve the quality of life for socially isolated elderly residents of Marin County's long-term care facilities by providing volunteer visitors for regular visits. Tanya Mendoza is the Volunteer Director to contact. Volunteers devote 30 minutes or more per week and make a commitment of at least one year. LITA works with the facilities around Marin to identify elderly residents who are socially isolated and offers this vulnerable population five programs:
1. One-to-One Friends matches residents with volunteers for weekly visits.
2. The Pet Connection volunteers bring along their well-behaved pets for visits.
3. LITA Families matches two or more members of a family with residents.
4. Bridging Generations involves elementary school classes that visit regularly throughout the school year.
5. Bridging Thru Music is an inter-generational program that connects youth musicians with a facility on a regular basis and taps into the power of music to bring back positive memories.