In-Home Supportive Services:
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program provides homecare services to Medi-Cal eligible aged, blind or individuals with disabilities, including children, to assist them to remain safely in their own homes as an alternative to out-of-home care. IHSS is a Medi-Cal/Medicaid funded program.
Types of services that can be authorized through IHSS if eligible: house cleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, and personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services). The types of services and number of hours for each service are determined based on an assessment as described below.
Once services are authorized, IHSS recipients will be able to hire an eligible IHSS care provider of their choosing to assist with appropriate service needs. If you do not have a care provider, you may contact the Public Authority In-Home Supportive Services of Marin County to help arrange for one through the IHSS Provider Registry.
How to Become an IHSS Recipient:
Step 1: Meeting Eligibility Criteria
- California resident living in your own home of choosing
- Be aged (over the age of 65), blind, or disabled and must have a disability that will last one year or longer; or
- You are a Medi-Cal recipient (if not a Medi-Cal recipient please skip to step 2) and demonstrate a functional limitation and need for help with activities of daily living (basic and routine activities necessary for independent living at home or in the community)
- IHSS does not provide 24-hour care. If you need 24-hour care, you will need to make other arrangements for your non-IHSS hours, such as through a Home and Community-Based Waiver (HCBW). To learn more about HCBWs, contact the Department of Health Care Services In-Home Operations at 1-916-552-9105.
Step 2: Medi-Cal Eligible
- Verification of Medi-Cal eligibility is required before IHSS services can be authorized
- If you do not currently have Medi-Cal, to apply please call Marin County Public Assistance at 877-410-8817 or apply online
- To apply for SSI click here
Step 3: To Apply for IHSS
- Complete and submit the online IHSS Program Inquiry Form by following the instructions on the form
- If you have questions about how to complete the online inquiry form or would like to apply via telephone please call (415) 473-INFO (4636)
- If you are completing the form on behalf of someone else please note, once information is received, the information becomes confidential. We are only able to provide information to the applicant and/or their Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) or conservator.
Step 4: Submit the IHSS Healthcare Certification Form (SOC 873)
- Ask your licensed healthcare physician to verify your need for IHSS by completing the IHSS Healthcare Certification form (SOC 873 English) (SOC 873 Español )
- After submitting the IHSS Program Inquiry form online or by calling (415) 473-INFO (4636), you must submit the IHSS Healthcare Certification form SOC 873 to the county as soon as possible or within 45 days.
- Submit all forms to the county by mail, fax, or in person drop off
Mail: 10 N. San Pedro Rd., San Rafael, CA 94903
Step 5: Social Worker Home Visit
- Once your Medi-Cal is confirmed and the county has received the completed SOC 873 form, expect an IHSS social worker to contact you about scheduling an appointment to assess your needs.
- If approved, the county will mail a notice with the types of services, start date, and the number of IHSS hours per month that have been authorized.
- View the IHSS Services and Assessment video (English | Español | 中文) for more information.
- IHSS Fact Sheets
Reporting Suspected Fraud:
- If you suspect IHSS fraud or misuse of the program, please call your local IHSS office at (415-473-7111) or the statewide IHSS Fraud Hotline at (888) 717-8302.
Public Authority In-Home Suportive Services of Marin County:
- Public Authority maintains a provider registry list of eligible providers for recipients that don’t have access to an eligible care provider
- If interested in becoming an IHSS provider or if in need of an IHSS provider visit the Public Authority In-Home Supportive Services of Marin County webpage for further information and instruction.
- To contact the IHSS Public Authority of Marin In-Home Care for further information you may call 415-499-1024
Electronic Timesheet Portal:
Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) is a federal law that requires electronic record of certain information about the IHSS services performed. As a condition of receiving IHSS services or receiving payment as an IHSS provider, all IHSS recipients and providers are required to enroll in the Electronic Services Portal. The Electronic Services Portal (ESP) is a secure website that allows providers to take care of all their payroll needs online using a tablet, smartphone, laptop, or computer. Recipients can approve/reject timesheets online and providers have the ability to complete and submit their electronic timesheets, as well as manage most related payroll needs.