IHSS pays for some domestic and personal care services for elderly and for disabled individuals of all ages so that they can remain safely in their own homes. The IHSS provider is chosen by the client, and works in the client's home to do those tasks the client cannot do for themselves.
- IHSS requires a determination of financial eligibility.
- Clients must either have full-scope Medi-Cal or be Medi-Cal eligible.
- IHSS social workers will assess the client in his/her own home to determine the hours per month of care needed.
- IHSS applicants who have income in excess of the SSI benefit levels may have a share-of-cost each month.
- IHSS may include housework, shopping, laundry, medical transportation, meal preparation, and assisting with personal needs such as bathing, dressing and transfers.
More information available on the California Department of Social Services IHSS website.