County of Marin Health and Human Services


Coronavirus (COVID-19) Shelter in Place Order for Marin County

To contact us for essential services, please use the following resource numbers:

Dial 711 for CA Relay Service

Starting March 17, 2020, most County of Marin Health and Human Services offices and public spaces are closed.
Please call ahead if you have an appointment or are required to be assisted in-person.

What is Kin-GAP?

The Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payment program (Kin-GAP) is a permanency option for children in long-term foster care placements with relative caregivers who have become the child's legal guardian.

Who is Eligible?

To be eligible to receive a Kin-GAP payment all of the following conditions must be met:

  • The child was dependent of the juvenile Court placed with the relative for at least 12 consecutive months before the guardianship was ordered by the juvenile Court and before dependency was dismissed.
  • The social worker assessed the relative caregiver and determined that he or she no longer needed the supervision of a social worker or the juvenile Court and was ready and able to leave the foster care system.
  • The relative guardianship was ordered by the Juvenile Court.
  • The juvenile court dependency was dismissed on or after January 1, 2000.
  • The child is a US citizen, US national or has lawful immigration status.

What are the Payments for Kin-GAP?

Kin-GAP payments are equal to the basic family home rate for the county in which the child resides. Children receiving Kin-GAP are not entitled to receive Special Needs Increments but they do receive clothing allowances.