Telephone: 415-473-6666 (crisis)
Address: 250 Bon Air Road, Greenbrae, CA 94904
PES provides services to Marin County residents and visitors experiencing a mental health crisis, such as suicidal depression or psychotic behavior. The PES Unit, located within Marin General Hospital at 250 Bon Air Rd. in Greenbrae, is open 24 hours/7 days a week and has 2 client rooms, a total of 4 beds; 3 couches and 4 chair-beds in common areas (to be used for overflow) to provide attention to adults in psychiatric crisis. Every client undergoes a detailed psychiatric assessment, nursing assessment, and screening for drug and alcohol use.
Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) and the Crisis Continuum of Care
Marin County Psychiatric Emergency Services serves children, teenagers, young adults, adults, and older adults, regardless of financial status or whether or not they are insured.
PES services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Length of stay is limited to less than 24 hours.
Psychiatric Emergency Services...
- Provides psychiatric assessments, referrals, recommendations and consultation on behalf of individuals who arrive on an involuntary basis (Pursuant: California Welfare and Institutions Code 5150), and for those who come to PES voluntarily. Typically clients are experiencing a mental or emotional crisis; in that they may be deemed a danger to themselves or to others, or they may appear incapable of caring for their basic needs.
- Provides crisis stabilization; i.e., individualized interventions directed toward resolution of the presenting, psychiatric episode.
- Provides evaluations of clients for whom inpatient psychiatric hospitalization appears indicated. Admissions for inpatient, psychiatric hospitalization are arranged as necessary.
- Some clients may be referred to Bay Area Community Resources (BACR) or to work with Community Action Marin through the use of a Family Partner to address drug and/or alcohol use issues.
- The role of the Family Partner is to support the family (through the crisis) as an advocate and link them to community resources
- Provides referrals to other county and community-based agencies and services
Referrals to PES are received from families and individuals, from all County of Marin departments, our thirteen, local law enforcement agencies, community health providers and agencies, and from facilities and agencies throughout Northern California.