Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
Research has shown that there is no better food than breast milk for a baby’s first year of life.Breastfeeding provides health, nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby. WIC mothers are strongly encouraged to breastfeed their infants.
WIC has historically promoted breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the best infant feeding choice unless there are medical reasons for choosing not to breastfeed.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling, lactation consultants, and breastfeeding educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive follow-up support through peer counselors.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers.
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breastfeeding aids to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.