County of Marin Health and Human Services

General Relief

Messaging, closures, and rules are changing rapidly as the threat from the COVID-19 virus increases. The County of Marin is working hard to ensure the safety of our residents, businesses, employees, and visitors. The General Relief program is implementing recommended measures to help minimize the risk to the  community and to our employees.  We have developed the following contingency plans for our clients which will remain in effect until the Board of Supervisors take action to return to standard program practice:

  • Monthly Update Reports are temporarily waived.
  • Weekly Job Search Activity Reports are temporarily waived.
  • Applicants have up to 30 days to submit verifications before application may be denied.
  • Applicants will be granted phone interviews instead of face-to-face interviews.
  • Hearings will be conducted either virtually or by telephone.
  • If you are currently receiving a General Relief loan it will not be interrupted unless you have not applied for CalFresh, moved from Marin County, been granted Unemployment Benefits, started employment or fail to provide requested verifications.

Applications may be picked up at the outside resource/document station at 120 N. Redwood, San Rafael, or download/print.
Applications may be submitted in the mail drop box at 120 North Redwood, San Rafael, or mailed to General Relief Program, 120 North Redwood Drive, San Rafael, CA 94903.

Call 1-877-410-8817 for questions.

The Employment and Training Branch administers the General Relief (GR) Program. All people interested in applying for GR benefits must apply in person at the San Rafael Public Assistance Office at 120 North Redwood Drive (West Wing), open from 8:00AM- 4:00PM and closed daily from 12:00PM-1:00PM. All GR intake interviews are conducted Tuesday-Thursday, unless a special accommodation has been approved.

If you need a special accommodation, please contact General Relief at 415-473-3450. A special accommodations form will be needed.

To speed up the process of your GR application, please bring the following items to your intake interview:

  • California Identification Card or California Driver’s License
  • Social Security Card
  • Legal Permanent Resident Card and proof of sponsor’s information, such as income, resources, and assets, if applicable
  • Lease/rental agreement, rent receipt, statement of rent receipt
  • Vehicle registration or title
  • Bank statement or proof of bank account closed
  • Proof of application to all potential available income or proof of recently denied of benefits (Unemployment, State Disability, Financial Aid, Pensions, etc.)
  • If legally married, marriage license
  • If legally separated or divorced, proof of legal separation of divorce